Friday, April 18, 2014

Baby Boy Church Onesie

I find myself in the baby section of stores a lot recently looking for cutesy gifts for my friends having babies. Have you noticed how everyone is having a baby?! Seriously though, everyone! One thing I have noticed is how the little boy section doesn't have as much cute outfits (maybe it's because I love pink things and frills and that's all in the little girl section) 
Now I have no idea what babies need (I haven't even held a super young one before!) so I buy what I know: clothes. 
For my friends having little boys though, there's nothing for them to wear to church that's even kinda dressy (as dressy as you can get a baby). So I made this bow tie onesie!
Bow Ties:
The bow ties themselves were different patterns, but I'm showing the plain yellow so you can see the details clearer. I cut a big rectangle (5.5 x 7.5 inches) and a smaller rectangle (2.25 x 3.5 inches). 
Fold the big rectangle in half, length wise:
And sew a seam:
You're gonna want to pull that tube inside out so you don't see the raw edge: 
And keep the seam in the center of the tube:
Now fold the tube in half so the seam is on the outside and sew it down:
And you should have this:
Now turn that tube inside out so that you don't see the seams and you are going to iron it flat. Make sure you iron the seam like I have it below:
Now take the smaller rectangle and fold it as you would if you were making your own bias tape:
Take the big rectangle that has been ironed and fold it so it takes the shape of your bow tie:
And sew it together. I did it by hand because I don't think you can do it with the machine:
Now you are going to need snaps. I bought mine at Michaels with a coupon and they were super affordable:
Take your smaller rectangle and a set of snaps:
I poke the bottom part of the snaps through the fabric for placement and because it is way easier like that:
Then out the top snap onto the prongs sticking through the smaller rectangle and hammer it in place: 
I put the spoil ontop because that's what the package of snaps suggested in the instructions but this only lasted for one bow tie:
Once the snap is secure, wrap the small rectangle around the bow tie and see it in place
And there's your bow tie!

Onesie:
I made two onesies (I got plain white so it resembled a white shirt you would wear to church):
Mark the middle of your onesie with a pencil so you know where to put the snap. Make sure you are using the other half of the snap! I used the flat part for all the bow tie and the knob on the onesie. Also, I cut a piece of felt the size of a quarter to add to make the snap more sturdy:
Place the felt on the inside of the onesie so you can't see it: 
And stick the prongs of the snap through:
Now you are definitely going to need the spool. Match the hole of the spool and put that over the knob so it doesn't damage when you hammer it down:
And your snap is in place!

And your little man is now ready for church!



Here's the deal with the snaps though: I don't trust them all too much! I love Michaels craft supplies but there have been times that I followed instructions exactly and it didn't work perfectly. So even though I did what the instructions say for the snaps, I still take them off super carefully. When taking off a bow tie, I put my nail in between the gap of the snaps and help it separate:
That way you don't rip them off, and you can prolong the life of the snaps (until your little dude outgrows the onesie)



So I sent these off with my mother in law who was heading to Alberta to see my new cutie patootie nephew with a few other little things too!


I knitted this bow tie bib that you can find here!

 And I made something still for baby, but cute for mommy to carry around: a diaper clutch that fit 4 diapers, bum cream, wet wipes, and a plush diaper mat (because those hard plastic change stations don't look clean or comfy)
I was going to do a DIY on the diaper clutch but I seriously had no idea what I was doing! Buying the bum cream alone took about 30 minutes because I had no idea what to get (and there are SO many options!) And the diapers were a whole other story (why are there so many different types?!) 

No comments: