Monday, January 20, 2014

DIY Haircut!!

Ian has been asking me since we were dating if I would cut his hair and I was always way too scared to even try it. Well after doing the math, one years worth of Ian's hair cuts could equal one pair of shoes from Aldo so I learned pretty quickly. I looked everywhere for a great tutorial and I ended up using only one (http://youtu.be/bGxG1l4z4wU).
Here's some before photos of Ian in our washroom looking WAY too calm for someone about to get a haircut from their wife who only googled it.
 I did the first part of the haircut with the electric razed and it was so easy, I thought this was going to be a breeze!
Then I soaked his hair, got out the scissors and started realizing that it was harder than I thought. I texted Caitlin whole I was doing the haircut (multitasking!!) and here's what our conversation looked like (I typo-ed ear with war):
Near the end of the haircut, Ian wanted me to trim around his ear and that's where he said the quote of the night "it's just hair, it will grow back eventually". All in all, I'm pretty ok with how the haircut turned out for it being my first time trying it. Here's the after shots:
So glad it's over and my payment: Menchie's (and shoes later on)!!!!

2 comments:

Keri said...

So how much did a man's haircut cost your budget each month before you started the DIY @ home? I know it can vary quite a lot, far more expensive if you are in a large city. If a year's worth of haircuts would be a pair of shoes, they must be some very expensive shoes, or was the price of shoes one haircut?
My guy was brave enough to let me cut his. I was scared too, but it came out OK. Gets better with practice :)
I know the cost of a woman's haircut, especially if you get color or highlights can be crazy. Where I used to live, the last haircut I got cost me $75 without color over 3 years ago. And the stylist chopped it too short, I cried in the mirror when I got home :(
So when my new boyfriend offered to trim my hair for me I figured, "why not?", can't be any worse than what I got at the salon. So I trusted him to take scissors to my locks (brave me) and he did a great job. I am finally able to grow my hair out because he listens to what I ask from him, rather than the scissor happy stylist taking off way too much. Mine is now almost to my elbows and I have not paid for a haircut in over three years :) I just get the ends trimmed every three months so I have saved close to a $1000, no hassles with salon visits and my hair looks great. Is Ian brave enough to trim your locks? Save you enough money to get a matching purse to go with the new shoes.

Vanessa Davenport said...

I don't know if I'm as brave as you to let my Ian cut my hair just yet but that's only because I've seen him with ther DIYs. He's not very detail oriented so I cut my own hair and it's actually WAY better than going to the salon. Now when I want two inches cut off the ends, I can get two inches and not 12 inches off like at the salon